Connect Active Campaign CRM
1. Open a web browser window/tab, then navigate to the ActiveCampaign website (http://www.activecampaign.com) and log in to your ActiveCampaign account.
2. Click on your Username in the upper-right corner to open a drop-down menu. Then click on “My Settings”.
3. In the left-hand menu, click “Developer”.
4. Under “API Access” you will see two fields. Copy the link within the “URL” field and the API key in the "Key" field.
5. Open the OCU app within your Shopify store. Click the "Settings" button from the left-side navigation menu then click "CRMs". In the "Active Campaign" section, paste the "URL" link into the "API EndPoint" field and the "Key" into the "API Key" field and click the "Connect" button:
Your Active Campaign account is now connected to your OCU app via API!
Select CRM lists for emails
*Note: It is recommended to create one new list in your Active Campaign account for each customer category listed below (3 new lists total). Using an existing list could result in the OCU data not being created correctly for the user's profile.
Select the desired lists from drop-down menus in the the fields titled “Cart Abandoned” List, “Order Completed” List and "Offer Product Purchased" List.
Your ActiveCampaign lists are now connected to your OCU app!
Once ActiveCampaign is connected to the OCU it will automatically collect the following information and automatically create the following Merge Fields in your Active Campaign account:
The customers who did not complete their orders (Added to the "Cart Abandoned" list):
- Last Abandoned Cart Item1 Name (OCU) (from 1 to 5)
- Last Abandoned Cart Quantity1 (OCU) (from 1 to 5)
- Last Abandoned Cart Price1 (OCU) (from 1 to 5)
- Last Abandoned Cart Subtotal (OCU)
- Last Abandoned Cart Date (OCU)
- Last Abandoned Cart Restore URL (OCU) (the link which leads the customer to the checkout with all abandoned cart contents)
- Accepts Marketing (OCU)
- Phone Number (OCU)
The customers who completed their orders (Added to the "Order Completed" list):
- Last Placed Order Item1 Name (OCU) (from 1 to 5)
- Last Placed Order Quantity1 (OCU) (from 1 to 5)Last Placed Order Price1 (OCU) (from 1 to 5)
- Last Placed Order Image1 URLs (OCU) (from 1 to 5)
- Last Placed Order Cart Subtotal (OCU)
- Last Placed Order Date (OCU)
- Accepts Marketing (OCU)
- Phone Number (OCU)
The customers who completed their orders AND purchased offer item(s) (Added to the "Offer Product Purchased" list):
- Last Purchased Offer Item Name (OCU)
- Last Purchased Offer Price (OCU)
- Last Purchased Offer Date (OCU)
- Accepts Marketing (OCU)Phone Number (OCU)
Setting up an Email Campaign
Click on the “Campaigns” tab and click “+ New Campaign”.
On the Type step provide the Campaign name and select the Auto Responder type. Click on the Next button in the top-right corner.
An Auto Responder will automatically send an email once a customer is added to the list.
Standard allows you to send out one-time emails to groups of customers. Decide which option works better for your case.
The next page allows you to choose the list to send to. You can select 1 or more lists. You can also segment the list from here.
On the design step, you can create your own email template using Scratch mode and the constructor or use the prepared Templates.
After you select your choice you must provide the Name, Email of sender and the Email Subject. Then click the Continue button.
The Constructor allows you to make changes and add new blocks with information for prepared Templates and in Scratch mode too.
In order for the field's value (OCU imported data) to appear in the email, you'll need to add fields from the list selected in the second step into the email template.
Fields should be named the same way as they appear in the selected list. Use the percent symbol (%) to mark out the field like this: %field_name%.
To make it more convenient, there's a "Contact" tab in the "Personalize" section of the editor which contains all fields.
Add field variables into the template by selecting them with a single click!
Active Campaign's characteristic is that it adds " _N " after a field's name in the case where more than 1 list contains fields with the same name.
In order to get the exact name for the field (together with the identifier) you need to go into the Forms -> Manage Fields section in your AC account (use new browser tab for this).
Then select the list you're creating the campaign for from the drop-down menu and it lists all fields for this list and associated Personalization Tags for them (like shown on the screenshot below).
The Personalization Tag is what you need to use in the email template. When copying and pasting those values from this list, don't forget to include the '%' symbols.
Any field's value can also be pasted into HTML and given a desired property. For example, you can set the desired width for the image field:
<img src="%FIELD_NAME_WITH_IMAGE_URL%" width="250">
Also, it allows you to set conditions which should be met for the content to be placed into the e-mail. Example:
This condition allows you to put content into the email body only if the $FIELD_NAME field contains any value. When that field is empty it will output nothing.
Here's an example of a script you can use for the Abandoned Cart email:
<h4>Hi %FIRSTNAME% %LASTNAME%</h4>
<p>%LAST_ABANDONED_CART_DATE_OCU% you added some products into your cart:</p>
<img src="%LAST_ABANDONED_CART_IMAGE1_URLS_OCU%" width="250">
<img src="%LAST_ABANDONED_CART_IMAGE2_URLS_OCU%" width="250">
<img src="%LAST_ABANDONED_CART_IMAGE3_URLS_OCU%" width="250">
<img src="%LAST_ABANDONED_CART_IMAGE4_URLS_OCU%" width="250">
<img src="%LAST_ABANDONED_CART_IMAGE5_URLS_OCU%" width="250">
Additional information about using conditions within templates can be found here: http://www.activecampaign.com/help/conditional-content-in-your-emails/
When you're finished, click the Next button in the header!
On the summary page, you can see if there are any issues and fix them if needed.
You can also send yourself a test email to ensure that it looks/works how you intended.
When your campaign is ready and all issues are fixed then depending on the selected campaign's type there will be sending functions available in the upper-right corner.
If the "Standard" campaign is selected there will be a "Send Now" button and emails will be sent to all customers from the list.
If the "Auto Responder" campaign is selected there will be a "Finish" button which adds the campaign to the schedule to send an email to each user added to the list.
More information on how to create and customize emails in Active Campaign can be found here: http://www.activecampaign.com/help/creating-a-campaign/