Blogging is a great way to build your audience and generate more traffic and sales for your business! This great functionality allows you to create one new Shopify Blog and publish unlimited Blog Posts to that new Blog. When you publish a new Blog Post in Zipify Pages, it is automatically assigned to the new Blog you've created in the app.
The blog and blog posts can be built using the same set of awesome page blocks available for Landing pages. Product pages and Home Pages.
📝Shopify's native "Comments" feature for Blog Posts is not supported for the Blog created in Zipify Pages. Instead, it's recommended to use the Disqus or Facebook Comments blocks on Blog Posts to add a comments section.
Creating your Blog
Follow these quick and easy steps to create your new ZP Blog:
1. Hover over the Pages section and then select Blogs:
2. Click the "New Blog" button there:
Note: If you've already created your ZP Blog, click the "Edit Homepage" button to edit it instead.
3. Next, choose either "Blank Blog" or use the pre-built Blog Home Page Template. After you choose, you can then Name your Blog and you'll be taken to the Page Builder for further editing:
4. The process of building your Blog Homepage from page blocks is the same as for other ZP page types. The only difference is a placeholder block for Blog Posts (“Posts List” block). This particular block can’t be removed from the Blog homepage completely or edited, but you can use the editor’s functionality to change its placement on the page:
5. The left sidebar Settings panel of the editor contains most of the same settings as a regular ZP page as well, except the ability to show/hide info about the Post’s Author and the Publish Date.
📝 If your Blog is published, but with no published Blog Posts, the homepage still shows a placeholder for the posts list. We recommend to publish your Blog only when you have at least one blog post added there.
6. When you publish your Blog, it will be added to the Online Store > Blog posts > Manage blogs section of your Shopify admin. *Only Blog Posts created in the Zipify Pages app should be used on the Zipify Pages Blog. Manually reassigning Zipify Pages Blog Posts to an existing Blog is unsupported and may cause issues.
Adding a Link to your Blog in your Header Navigation Menu
If you'd like to start using this new blog on your store, you will need to adjust your Navigation menu(s) at Online Store > Navigation within your Shopify admin to point to the new ZP blog instead of your current one.
*Note: For Header navigation for your Theme header, the menu will be called "Main Menu".
If you don't already have a Blog link in your Theme Header and/or Footer navigation menu(s), then you will need to add a new link to the corresponding menu and then link it to your Zipify Pages blog homepage:
If you're using a Zipify Pages Header instead (If you are using a Zipify Page as your Homepage for example), you will need to link to your Zipify Pages blog homepage using the "URL" Destination option and then paste in your Zipify Pages blog homepage URL there and Save:
Creating a Blog Post
Once your ZP Blog has been created, you can then start creating Blog Posts for it.
Follow the steps below to create a blog post.
1. Go to the Blog section of the Zipify Pages app and click the "New Post" button there.
📝 To edit your Blog page instead, click the "Edit Homepage" button.
2. Next, choose an available pre-built Blog Post Template to go with and then click the "Use Template" button or choose to create a custom post from scratch by selecting the "Blank Post":
3. Next, the “New Post” popup will appear where you need to specify the post's title (note that your blog’s visitors will see that title on the Blog homepage). Optionally, you can specify the Author’s name and add Tag(s).
Click the "Create" button to be taken to the Page Constructor to start editing your blog post.
📝 All of these fields are available for editing later in the page builder. The page builder’s side panel also contains a switcher to hide the post Author’s name if desired.
4. Within the page builder, you can build out your blog post using the same set of page blocks and settings that is available for pages!
There’s also an ability to manipulate a post’s publish date through the Settings ( ⚙️) > Publish Date section of the left-side panel of the page builder. The publish date determines the order that the blog posts are listed on the blog homepage, by most recently published date listed first. The default value is “Current” which populates the current date as the post’s publish date. The other option is "Custom" which allows you to set any custom date instead:
Don’t forget to upload a Post Thumbnail image as well. The file size for a post thumbnail is limited to 1 MB. The recommended thumbnail image dimensions are 280x150 px:
The Post Thumbnail image will be shown on the Blog homepage as seen below for example:
📝 Blog posts on the Blog Homepage will be ordered based on most recent published date. If you'd like posts to show in a different order in the grid, update the post's Publish Date in the page builder.
5. Once you're ready to Publish your Blog Post, click the "Publish" button.
The blog post will be automatically assigned to your ZP blog homepage and will be added to the Online Store > Blog posts section of your Shopify admin.
Blog and Blog Post URL structure on Shopify
Blog posts on Shopify are assigned to a particular Blog you've created. Blog posts have the following URL structure:
As you can see in the example above, the
blog-post-name is assigned to the
blog-name and therefore lives at that URL path on the Shopify store.
By default, new Blog Posts created in the Zipify Pages app are assigned to the new Blog you created in the app. If you have an existing Blog and want the Blog Posts created in the app assigned there instead, you are able to change which Blog a particular Blog Post is assigned to in your Shopify admin. To do that, follow the steps below:
1. Navigate to Online Store > Blog posts in your Shopify admin.
2. Click on the name of the Blog post that you want to reassign to your existing Blog.
3. In the Organization section, click on the "Blog" dropdown menu to choose your existing Blog that you want the Post assigned to instead:
4. Click the Save button and the Blog post is now assigned to your existing Blog.
If you manually reassign a Zipify Pages Blog post to an existing Blog, the Blog post will be automatically reassigned back to the Zipify Pages Blog instead if you Update the Blog post within the Zipify Pages app. You will need to manually reassign it to your existing Blog (if desired) again by following the steps outlined above.
Existing Blog posts can also be reassigned to your new Zipify Pages Blog (if desired). To do that, follow the same steps outlined above, but instead choose your new Zipify Pages Blog as the one you want to reassign the existing Blog post to.
There is no ability to edit existing Blog posts which weren't created in the Zipify Pages app within the app. Only Blog posts created in the Zipify Pages app are able to be edited in the app.
Blog and Blog Post Scripts
If you wish to use additional scripts for the blog page then you have 2 ways to do this:
1. Add Global scripts through the Global > Scripts > Blog scripts section of the ZP app to run added scripts on any/every Blog post page:
2. Add Local scripts to be used on an exact blog post page using the </> Scripts section of the page builder:
Files Added to Your Theme
The following Template files are added to your theme automatically and are needed for the correct functioning of the blog post page and blog homepage respectively:
If the "Theme header/footer" feature is enabled for your blog and blog posts, the following files will be added as well:
NOTE: These template files will not be overwritten/re-created when you disable/re-enable the ZP app in order to preserve any user code injections (if any is added). The only way to overwrite/re-create these templates is to remove these files manually and then click the "Refresh Assets" button in the Settings > General > Advanced Settings section of the app.