On this page
- Creating your Blog
- Adding a Link to your Blog in your Header Navigation Menu
- Creating a Blog Post
- Blog and Blog Post Scripts
- Files added to your theme
Blogging is a great way to build your audience and generate more traffic and sales for your business! This great functionality included in Zipify Pages Plus allows you to create and manage a Blog and Blog Posts using the same set of awesome page blocks available for Pages.
You will be able to create one new Blog (Homepage) and unlimited Blog Posts for that blog. Support for multiple Blogs is something we're working to include in a future app update.
Creating your Blog
Follow these quick and easy steps to create your ZP Blog:
1. Go to the Blog section of the app and click the "Create Blog" button there.
Note: If you've already created your ZP Blog, click the "Edit Homepage" button to edit it instead.
2. Next, choose either "Create Custom Blog" or use a pre-built Blog page Template. After you choose, you can then Name your Blog and you'll be taken to the Page Constructor for further editing.
3. The overall process of building your Blog homepage from page blocks is the same as for regular ZP pages. The only difference is a placeholder block for Blog posts thumbnails (“Posts List” block). This particular block can’t be removed from the Blog homepage completely or edited, but you can use the editor’s functionality to change its placement on the page.
4. The left-side Settings panel of the editor contains most of the same settings as for a regular ZP page as well, except the ability to show/hide info about the Post’s Author and the Publish Date.
NOTE: If your Blog is published with no posts, its homepage still shows a placeholder for the posts list. We recommend to publish your Blog only when you have at least one blog post added there.
5. When you publish your Blog, it will be added to the Online Store > Blog posts > Manage blogs section of your Shopify admin.
Adding a Link to your Blog in your Header Navigation Menu
If you'd like to start using this new blog on your store, you will need to adjust your Navigation menu(s) at Online Store > Navigation within your Shopify admin to point to the new ZP blog instead of your current one.
*Note: For Header navigation for your Theme header, the menu will be called "Main Menu".
If you don't already have a Blog link in your Theme Header and/or Footer navigation menu(s), then you will need to add a new link to the corresponding menu and then link it to your Zipify Pages blog homepage:
If you're using a Zipify Pages Header instead (If you are using a Zipify Page as your Homepage for example), you will need to link to your Zipify Pages blog homepage using the "URL" Destination option and then paste in your Zipify Pages blog homepage URL there and Save:
Creating a Blog Post
Once your ZP Blog has been created, you can then start creating Blog Posts for it.
Follow the steps below to create a blog post.
- Go to the Blog section of the Zipify Pages app and click the "New Post" button there.
Note: To edit your Blog page instead, click the "Edit Homepage" button.
2. Next, choose an available pre-built Blog Post Template to go with and then click the "Use Template" button or choose to create a custom post from scratch by selecting the "Blank Article" option and then clicking the "Create Blank Article" button:
3. Next, the “New Post” popup will appear where you need to specify the post's title (note that your blog’s visitors will see that title on the Blog homepage). Optionally, you can specify the Author’s name and add Tag(s).
Click the "Create" button to be taken to the Page Constructor to start editing your blog post.
NOTE: All of these fields are available for editing later in the page constructor. The page constructor’s side panel also contains a switcher to hide the post Author’s name if desired.
4. Within the page constructor, you can build out your blog post using the same set of page blocks and settings that is available for pages!
There’s also an ability to manipulate a post’s publish date through the Settings ( ⚙️) > Publish Date section of the left-side panel of the page constructor. The default value is “Automatic” which populates the current date as the post’s publish date. Other available options are:
- “Specific” which allows you to set any desirable date (current or past) as the publish date.
- “Hide” to remove the publish date from the post page altogether.
Don’t forget to upload a Post Thumbnail image at Settings ( ⚙️) > Post Thumbnail as well.
NOTE: The file size for a post thumbnail is limited to 1 MB. The recommended thumbnail image dimensions are 280 x 150 pixels.
The Post Thumbnail image will be shown on the Blog homepage as seen below for example:
5. Once you're ready to Publish your Blog Post, click the "Publish" button.
The blog post will be automatically assigned to your ZP blog homepage and will be added to the Online Store > Blog posts section of your Shopify admin.
Note: The "Existing Block" functionality is not cross-compatible between Pages and Blog Posts I.e. you can only use the "existing block" feature between Pages or Blog Posts, but not between Pages and Blog Posts.
Blog and Blog Post Scripts
If you wish to use additional scripts for the blog page then you have 2 ways to do this:
1. Set Global scripts through the Settings > Global Scripts > Blog scripts section of the ZP app to run added scripts on any/every Blog post page.
2. Set Local scripts to be used on an exact blog post page using the </> Scripts section of the page constructor.
Overall you’ll be working with scripts for Blog posts the same exact way as you do for regular ZP pages. The only difference is a separate section for Blog Scripts management.
Anything else related to the building of your blog pages with the page constructor is the same as for regular ZP pages, so you can refer to the appropriate help sections of Zipify Pages to find more information on working with the page constructor, page blocks, etc.
Files Added to Your Theme
The following Template files are added to your theme automatically and are needed for the correct functioning of the blog post page and blog homepage respectively:
If the "Theme header/footer" feature is enabled for your blog and blog posts, the following files will be added as well:
NOTE: These template files will not be overwritten/re-created when you disable/re-enable the ZP app in order to preserve any user code injections (if any is added). The only way to overwrite/re-create these templates is to remove these files manually and then disable/re-enable ZP app.